In the scheme of things, I suppose having more-prone-to-be-dry skin is better than more-prone-to-be-oily skin, but WOWIE did my skin get really, really dry a few months into being pregnant. We’re talking all the lotions and oils and crèmes in the world could not smooth out the dry, splotchy, scaly skin that suddenly appeared on my face, neck, and torso. I mean, having dry skin as a girl is particularly complicating when it’s on your face because guess what happens when you put foundation over dry skin? It looks worse. Something had to be done in addition to my normal, very gentle, hydrating skin routine, and stat.
(Ahhhhh!!!! Who wants to see that in the mirror?!?!)
Finally I determined that I might as well try scrubbing the dry skin off in the shower and see if that made a difference. And, IT WORKS!!! This sugar scrub is THE ONLY thing keeping my skin from looking reptilian. I whipped it up in just a couple minutes and keep it in a large jar/container thing in the shower. My favorite part is that the sugar gives a really nice exfoiating power, but then the coconut oil follows right behind with lots of moisutre. (And then I continue with my normal day lotion when I’m out of the shower).
Crocodile Skin Sugar Scrub
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut oil, softened (I got mine at Trader Joes)
Scents, as desires (I used a couple drops of vanilla and a couple drops of lavender oil)
A dash of water
- Warm up the coconut oil just enough so that you can mix it with a spoon.
- Combine with the sugar in the jar you intend on keeping it in (a mason jar or empty lotion pot would work well).
- Add the drops of oil for fragrance and mix well.
- Close the lid and let sit….
- When you go to use the sugar scrub, depending on how warm it is in your house, you might find that it’s gotten too hard to scoop out. (Mine did). So I added a dash of water to the mix and keep a tiny spoon in the jar so I can periodically stir it all together again. Works like a charm!
Let me know how this works for you! Enjoy!